"I dream of a hard and brutal mysticism in which the naked self merges with the nonhuman world and somehow survives...Paradox and bedrock."-Edward Abbey

16 April 2023

At the Edge of Empire

This is the end of the world. I used to say that about the mountains, but I realize it was a different kind of frontier. Here is the edge of Empire. The closest I get to being an expat without fucking off to Kenya, Morocco, Spain, Nepal, or Brazil. The sense of humility I get when I stand at the the furthest precipice of lava cliff overlooking the ocean is wholly different frm that of looking out into Backcountry wilderness or looking into the cosmos, whether via a telescope or just plain looking up. Here, I am looking into and across the void. Perhaps, were I ever to truly step offworld, I will rethink my assumptions. Zoological anthropology along with all my other ologies keeps me Holmes-like interested. I realize I've barely grazed the surface and have only started poking at the worms underneath and that's part of the fun of it. Here, I can indulge my curiosities, for I am a curious bastard. Oh, and I like to learn things too

2 comments:

  1. Hey Robbie, is it Hawaii??
    Nothing too new with me, I'm now in Portland, trying to get used to the omnipresent rain and cloud cover. After decades in Montana, it takes some getting used to.
    Did you manage to escape covid so far? I have, I think largely to using a mask and being a recluse. Also the vaccines.
    Take care, good to see you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh. We are on the east side of the Island south of Hilo. It's an interesting place. I made it through COVID, but it did little to boost my faith in humanity.

      Good to hear from you. Be well.

      Delete