"I dream of a hard and brutal mysticism in which the naked self merges with the nonhuman world and somehow survives...Paradox and bedrock."-Edward Abbey

13 May 2021

Over Browned Onoins

It starts with browning onions. Once, when passing through Mumbai, I spent the night with a woman who said the sign of a good wife was how well she browned onions. I never learned about her cooking skills, but I never had any intention of marrying her. Part of the magic of cooking is you can travel the world without leaving your kitchen. I've never been to Fiji. However, I had a better traveled dinner guest tell me I cook like a native. Does that make me a chef? Hardly! Of course, I believe the second you go calling yourself something, you're definitely not. You're just trying too hard. Because of this, I had a buddy say I was a philosopher. He stopped after I punched him in the throat and told him to stop calling me names.

4 comments:

  1. I think caramelized onions make a reasonable substitute for sauerkraut on a good brat with a crusty roll. Speaking of food, I have a friend who moved to Viet Nam almost 2 years ago, and he sends me pictures of the meals in restaurants in Da Nang....amazing looking seafood and weirdly cheap. Also, no virus. Makes me almost want to go back.
    Good to hear from you, hope you've been well.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom once told me a sign of a good wife was not having any cobwebs on your ceiling. This must have been a little joke of hers since we could all see her cobwebs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Robbie, can't comment on your new post. Intentional? Looks like Hawaii....

    ReplyDelete