"I dream of a hard and brutal mysticism in which the naked self merges with the nonhuman world and somehow survives...Paradox and bedrock."-Edward Abbey

04 July 2020

Just think, if the insurrection of 1776CE had been crushed, such hoopy froods as Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin would be remembered as traitors and the stars and stripes a symbol of treason.  This would be just another day.

Only in the US is a failed rebellion romanticized. That status were erected to venerate traitors to the union and a battle flag of treason is flown in certain places and at certain events. Only in the US is treason a virtue, and those who would champion this concept as virtue hypocritically call themselves patriots.

Isn't that something?

3 comments:

  1. I heard a interesting interview on "Hidden Brain" on NPR...interviewing a black professor who has written extensively about Jefferson. She gave what seemed an accurate picture: a conflicted man, brilliant, who made choices and tried to reconcile them with what he knew he was passing by: the slavery issue.
    I hope you're doing well, Robbie. I'm in Seattle, weathering the storm, so to speak, doing ok but the isolation and inactivity are taking a toll.
    Take care my friend.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that. Jefferson and Franklin are my two favorites of the founding fathers.

      Stay well...

      Delete
    2. Since my post, Emily's bf has apparently be exposed, so things are in a bit of a turmoil here. I'll figure out best course for here, and see that they comply. Not great news for me, but it is what it is.

      Delete