"I dream of a hard and brutal mysticism in which the naked self merges with the nonhuman world and somehow survives...Paradox and bedrock."-Edward Abbey

19 January 2014

Snowpants

When I first moved here, I didn't quite understand what one my neighbors meant when he said he either lived in shorts or snowpants. I figured snowpants were a skier or snowboarder thing. Walkabouts for me consisted of boots, a few times, out in the badlands of eastern Colorado, perhaps some coveralls if it was cold and the wind was blowing polar-cap.

Our first meeting with Miguel Loco was the day we purchased our snowshoes. It has been lucrative acquaintance in terms of gear and acquired knowledge. I have mentioned before he's the master and I the student. He's so proud of how far I've come. That first day, though, partway through our first winter, he became incensed when he found out I was hiking in the snow on jeans.

"Not on my watch you're not!" He said, handing me my first pair of snowpants. "You will wear these. Cotton kills."

I gave that line about the murderous nature of cotton to a reoccurring character of mine. Of course, part of that character was inspired by Miguel Loco. Maybe I should tell him that someday. He'll either be flattered or punch me.

We snowshoed to a ruin we'd not visited in a few years. Not much had changed. We talked about perhaps camping there come summer. It wasn't even within a mile of home.

In our snow gear we were quite comfortable. It was then, frolicking in the snow that I began to understand what that neighbor meant all those years ago. Like him, these days, I either live in shorts or snowpants, and the living is quite comfortable, like a second skin.  

7 comments:

  1. Every time I read these posts it makes me want to live in a area like that. I think I must have been a polar bear in a former life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or perhaps you feel the call because this sort of environment is your place in the world ;).

      Delete
  2. Lankin...sigh...I've been missing him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, I hope you're sitting down for this; one, he's fiction, and two, he's got a girlfriend, or at least someone he's fucking regularly. I swear.

      Fucking stalker...;p

      Delete
    2. We're all fiction. And Just Sydney? Well, she's not really his type for the long haul...

      And neither are you, Nessa!!!!!

      Delete
  3. Please tell terlee to stay away from my man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you two. Is going to turn into some Dynasty-esque bitch fight?

      Besides, Lankin's eyes are gray, not green. So not your type.;p

      Delete