"I dream of a hard and brutal mysticism in which the naked self merges with the nonhuman world and somehow survives...Paradox and bedrock."-Edward Abbey

23 January 2013

Terminator Waltz

Here we are, that time of year when we taste sunlight. That curtain of light draws further along the Bullshead, then along what was the cantina, the neighbor's house, across the river!, before it kisses the actual street!

Oh, fuck yes...


It was a warm day. After so many under the cloak of cold, Arctic-like, it was that giddy kind of respite. If my calculations are spot on; three days, the earliest, we get the direct light back.

After laundry, Sabina and I stood out on the porch with a bottle of rose-rage against the dying of the light!!!-and summer sausage. It was a day above freezing, and the world felt perfect. The Long Dark is about over and done with. As we sat outside I thought of the chorus of a Fury in the Slaughterhouse song;

"Here we go-
Dancing in the sunshine of the dark..."


That's how we roll on this side of the terminator...

10 comments:

  1. This was spectacular. You have a very unique writing style. It's still very arctic-like here. The warm days are nowhere to be found at the moment haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hope it warms up on your side of the world soon.

      Delete
  2. I wish I'd said that.

    Really.

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not an announcement of spring, but a little something that makes winter a little less unremitting.

      Delete
  3. I was just thinking last night as I walked back from the mailbox that Winter's dark is already ebbing.

    Glad to hear it's happening in your part of the world as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first noticed it wasn't nightfall at five in the evening I beamed like a chesire cat.

      Delete
  4. I love that I can actually....feel what you write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when you say "Oh, fuck yes..."
    It always lets me know this is a happy post. You do have a way with words. ;)

    ReplyDelete