"I dream of a hard and brutal mysticism in which the naked self merges with the nonhuman world and somehow survives...Paradox and bedrock."-Edward Abbey

10 January 2010

False Spring Whispers

I take a certain comfort in my mourning rituals. The taking of vitamins and brewing of coffee, whilst setting out the next day's supplementals and grinding the next day's coffee beans. Checking in on and feeding our familiars. The gathering of firewood and splitting of kindling when necessary. Making breakfast and checking correspondences and the news of the wide world. Shaves and showers.

Perhaps it's the idea of routine. A little order in a universe rife with chaos. The illusion that whatever else might be happening, but at least I have something like that fall back on. Maybe I just find zen in those few simple things in the name of living a more simplistic life.

The day has shown itself to be another mild one. If meteorological prophecy is to be believed, it's supposed to reach the mid-thirties on the fahrenheit scale. Soft daylight bathes a greater portion of the valley. Checking the weather for the rest of the week, it's supposed to be mild, with only a slight chance of snow later in the week. This fills me with joy, knowing the prospect of a walkabout, without having to bundle up too much, may be a very real possibility.

I believe I'm seeing an omen of false spring. One of my buddies sometimes speaks of a midwinter lull, when the temperatures are mild and it's not only acceptable, but perhaps even expected, to wash the winter's grime from one's vehicle. Such a period would not be so bad. After a month or more of just cold and snow over and over again, it's nice to have a break. It certainly keeps everyone from going stir-crazy.

In a little bit, after the last of my coffee is drank, a walk around the township seems in order. Personally, I find walking to be a wonderful tool for meditation, as well as exercise. More than likely, some of the other citizenry will be out, soaking in the sun and slightly warmer air. There might possibly be ski-bums playing horseshoes in back of the cantina.

Later in the evening, Sabina and I have talked about going to the locals jam up at the Large Town Hall. We'll take a bottle of wine and listen to improvised folk and bluegrass. It's always fun, and it's been awhile since I've been out to enjoy such things. Still, evening's a few hours off and the possibly of going for a walk is now.

I should get to it, after all, I'm burning daylight...

No comments:

Post a Comment